Thursday, February 20

Lupita Nyong’o talks Racism and being a "Natural Hair" Icon

by: April D. Byrd


I LOVE Lupita Nyong’o! Is there anywhere to buy a shirt with this statement? The Kenyan Actress and Film director, (who was actually born in Mexico) has been blowing up media everywhere.  American cinema was introduced to Lupita through her role as "Patsy" in the film 12 Years A Slave. Not surprisingly Lupita is being considered a natural hair icon because of her short, sophisticated cut. 


Lupita explained  hair as being "political" in an interview with Britain's Pride Magazine.
“I wasn’t really aware of being a natural hair icon. I don’t really read the news, so this is the first time I’m hearing that. I’m not surprised though; there is something about hair that has always been political."Someone has long hair and they cut it, it’s political, when someone grows their hair it’s political. So I don’t know how to answer that. I guess I’m just taking it in my stride."

Lupita also discussed issues of skin tone, and her relation to the experience of American slavery with Kevin Frazier of OMG! Insider. 


“It’s so flattering. I know I’m representing an underrepresented group of women. And being dark-skinned and having short, natural hair, I’m happy to be that for them."



Lupita is definitely a good representation of  all women. With her intellect, talent, fashion sense, and humility, she rightfully has media swarming over her like bees over honey. We get to witness Lupita's elegance in her interview on Fame and Fashion. (video below)





Is Lupita a natural hair icon? and What do you think of her statements about Hair being political? Comment and join in on the discussion at Trey Anthony's Fan Page.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hair is definitely political.. .as we all know as women.. natural, chemically treated, blonds vs. brunetts etc. For a woman of color and being dark skinned with short natural hair, I am excited to have her showcased as successful, smart and beautiful. Hopefully her success will open the door for other women who does not fit the "standard" of "normal".

Unknown said...

Hair is definitely political.. .as we all know as women.. natural, chemically treated, blonds vs. brunetts etc. For a woman of color and being dark skinned with short natural hair, I am excited to have her showcased as successful, smart and beautiful. Hopefully her success will open the door for other women who does not fit the "standard" of "normal".