Friday, March 29

Has Hip Hop Gone Too Far?


I first want to say that I've always been a fan of hip hop, there are a few lyrics that I cringe at but overall some of my favorite songs are made by rap artists. But with that said, there is a new generation of rap that I cannot get with! I believe in the old saying that, "if you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything." I will not stand for some of the lyrics these days that promote "popping molly" (a pure form of ecstasy) or not too long ago Lil Wayne comparing performing a sexual act on a female to the terrible tragedy that happened years ago to Emmett Till who was beaten to death for allegedly whistling at a white womyn. The recent controversial lyric comes from rapper Rick Ross, who brags about slipping molly in a womyn's drink and having sex with her without her knowledge.

The lyrics that Ross used were:
 Put molly all in her champagne, she ain’t even know it
I took her home and I enjoyed that, she ain’t even know it.
Is this where music is going? Thankfully there are a couple of radio stations in the states that are taking a stand against this type of negative and degrading music by banning these songs from being played. I'm very happy to hear this and hope that more radio and video stations follow suite. I believe in artistic and creative expression, but by promoting date rape as the norm and coming from a rapper, may be viewed as cool or enticing to young people, is completely irresponsible.

What do you all think, has rap culture gone too far to ignore or just a form of freedom of expression?

1 comment:

TashW said...

I can't say I am a fan of current hip hop so my opinion is humble however, I believe this is taking it too far. The idea that freedom of expression takes away your responsibility to humanity is ignorant. This man has a medium that he can use to deliver any message to the world and this is what he would choose to deliver? shameful