Tuesday, January 24

Question of the Week: Should womyn be called bitches?

Hey everyone!  I just wanted to introduce a new element to the blog.  I want to start a forum where we can discuss issues and events that are current and relevant.  This week I'm starting a Question Of The Week that I'll ask every Monday (and I know that this is Tuesday!  I'm a day late because I was busy preparing and delivering my keynote speech in Ottawa, which went very well I might add.)  And throughout the week we'll talk about it and see if we can keep a dialogue going in our communities.  That also means if you have a topic you think we should discuss, please let me know! I am looking forward to your responses so join the conversation.


In the last few weeks, there has been a lot of discussion over Jay-Z's use of the ever controversial 'b-word'.  First he is using it, then he apparently wasn't using it anymore to honor his baby girl.  Then, apparently he didn't say that he was going to stop calling womyn bitches and plans to continue to use the word.  And it got me thinking about the use of the word 'bitch' and it's role in our culture.

We all know there are two very clear sides to this age old debate: those who think it's degrading, and those who think they've reclaimed the word by using it with conviction.

I've heard it before that bitch stands for "Beautiful Individual Totally in Control of Herself."  Do you think that's just a clever acronym society uses to keep us trapped? Or is it empowering?

I'm curious to hear from the followers on this one.  Do you use the term?  What is your stance on the usage of the word?  Do you call your friends 'bitches' in a loving tone? Is it ever appropriate to call any womyn a 'bitch'?  I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Let's start a discussion!

No comments: